The author and artist Ari Behn is dead. He was 47 years old.
– With great sadness, we, Ari Behn’s closest relatives, have to announce today that he committed suicide. We ask for respect for our privacy in the future, inform the family about Geir Håkonsund, Ari Behns manager and family spokesman, to Dagbladet.
According to the family, Behn committed suicide. Here in Norway he is known for his writing and for his art. He was also married to Princess Märtha Louise. They were married from 2002 to 2016. The couple have three children together.
Ari Behn’s death was suicide
In a statement by the castle, King Harald and Queen Sonja say the following:
– With great sadness, the Queen and I received the news of Ari Behn’s death. Ari has been an important part of our family for many years, and we have fond memories of him, the statement said.
We are thankful that we met him. We regret that our grandchildren have now lost their beloved father – and have deep sympathy for his parents and siblings who have now lost their beloved son and brother. We pray that Ari’s immediate family will feel comfortable in this painful time.
The Crown Prince couple also spoke out. They say the following:
– For us, Ari was a good friend, a dear family member and a great uncle with whom we shared many small and big moments in life. We received the news of his death with great sadness. We all really liked Ari. Our thoughts are especially directed to Maud, Leah, Emma, Princess Märtha Louise and Ari’s immediate family. Ari Behn will do a radio program on P4. Volume 90%
Carina Scheele Carlsen, the manager of Princess Märtha Louise, says that they do not want to comment at this time. Dagbladet was in contact with Håkonsund on Wednesday evening, who says he has no further comments on the matter.
The palace security guard, Sven Gj. Gjeruldsen tells Dagbladet that so far no further announcements from the palace will be made than the statements of the royal family, which can be found on the website of the royal house.
Shortly after the death was announced, condolences and reactions appeared on social media. Prime Minister Erna Solberg shows his deepest sympathy for the news.
– I would like to express my condolences to the family of Ari Behn and leave his tragic death. My thoughts go to everyone who loved him, ”wrote Prime Minister Erna Solberg to NTB on Wednesday evening.
Per Heimly, who had been a close friend of the artist for years, also made a message. On Facebook, he wrote the following about the shock:
I am infinitely sad to have lost my best friend and blood brother Ari Behn today. I am depressed and pray for calm to digest this incredible tragedy that has hit us all. I loved Ari and he will always be by my side, Heimly wrote.
Another answer is Carl-Erik Grimstad:
“It’s just sad, and of course his thoughts go to his children and close relatives,” said Carl-Erik Grimstad, Liberal MP and former deputy head of the royal family, to Dagbladet.
Caroline Vagle, royal house expert for seeing and hearing, takes death with grief.
– This is terrible, sad news, and my thoughts go to his three daughters and the whole family. Ari was a warm, talented, colorful man who really left his mark on everyone he met on his way, she says.